1.31.2005

Have things really gotten this bad?

This is actually an old complaint of mine, but it has some new twists.

I frequent a local Christian bookstore (Berean Bookstore in Decatur, IL), mostly because I like browsing the music section to see if there are any good releases (and occasionally I find some good deals, like Luna Halo's Shimmer, which I highly recommend). In doing so, I also observe the patterns in Christian media; for instance, not too long after Dan Brown's controversial The DaVinci Code, I found several books dedicated to debunking the rumors that the book contained. This process helps me keep a check on my faith; I mean this not so much as my personal convictions as I do 'keeping up with the Grahams', as it were. Point blank, I want to know how other Christians are portraying themselves and thereby portraying me to the world.

On the day in question, I was in the middle of this activity when I came to the Bible translation racks. Usually, I look for a copy of The Message (which is a nice idea, but a little corny at places; read Psalm 1:1 to see what I mean), maybe see if there's a new translation like "New Intergalactic Translation for the Middle-Aged Extra-Terrestrial". Hey, you never know.

Then I saw it. It absolutely blew my mind.

At first glance, it was a very normal Bible. I mean, it had to be somewhat normal; it was a teen study Bible, and teenagers can be quite picky about what they're seen carrying, even if just to Sunday school and youth groups. And it was made by Zondervan, which claims to (and may) be "the leading Christian communications company in the world". (If you want a better idea, Zondervan is a division of HarperCollins Publishers. That should put things in perspective.)

Its title: Student Bible, New International Version.

But the part that got me was a little sticker on the front with this label:
The Official Bible of the Newsboys
(For those who don't believe me, you can see exactly what I mean here.)

At this point, I was quite disappointed. I mean, is the state of modern Christianity so bad that Christian rock bands have to endorse Bibles to get them to sell?

But this was a while back, maybe even a year or two ago. Is it really that bad anymore?

Oh, no, my friends - it gets much worse.

In order to prove to the ever-ready skeptic that such a Bible does exist, I ran across another Zondervan-Newsboys connection, and this one's fresh off the presses, dated January 4, in the year of our Lord 2005.

Title of article: "Zondervan Announces TNIV Bible Partnership with newsboys"

The cautious observer may first ask: "What's the TNIV Bible?"

Well, I'm glad you asked! The acronym is short for Today's New International Version, which is obviously a slightly updated version of the NIV (or New International Version, first published in the 1973). [Note: I find it funny when considering updated versions of other translations, such as the King James Version and New King James Version. Was "Today's New" more hip than "The Newer International Version" or "Our Most Recent International Version Yet"?] It is currently set to be released "in both Old and New Testaments" on February 4th of this year, allegedly set "in creative, innovative formats to engage the hearts and minds of 18- to 34-year-olds". To support this last claim, the article above cites a national Harris Interactive poll in which "77 percent of them found the TNIV easier to understand than the NIV, and 72 percent of them found the text more readable". [I wonder if they read the entire translation or just the tricky verses...?]

You may be asking, "What's so bad about an updated translation?" There may be nothing 'wrong' with it, per se, but there are inherent flaws with this approach.

Allow me to start with a quote from Peter Furler of the Newsboys:

"The only foundation that will prevail is the one built on God's Word. That's why I'm proud to stand with Zondervan, bringing the Word to today's generation. That's why I believe so strongly in Today's New International Version, the TNIV; a new translation that speaks the timeless truth of God's Word in the language of today." [italicized emphasis mine]
Is it just me, or does that second sentence seem a bit smarmy? I mean, can't you just see the little caption: "Zondervan - Bringing the Word to today's generation!"? It already smacks of corporate whore-ism, and all in the guise of bringing the world a better version of their best product. (The NIV translation is the top selling translation in the world, even given the rampant amount of traditionalists who claim that the King James Version is the only true translation.)

I'd like to be proven wrong on this last point, but, alas, I am not:

"The TNIV will be the biggest Bible translation launch in history, based on the breadth of products offered and the promotion that we intend to do," said Paul Caminiti, publisher and vice president of Bibles at Zondervan. "We know there is a need for this translation and we're thrilled to begin reaching today's generation with God's word in compelling, innovative formats, all supported by a translation that is uncompromisingly accurate and absolutely faithful to the original biblical texts." [emphasis mine]
Whoooo, boy. The 'biggest Bible translation launch in history'? That's a pretty big aspiration!

Okay, it's not, really. Virtually every single translation to come out since the NIV has been released with little fanfare, the closest probably being The Message by Eugene Peterson because of its über-contemporary language.

Again, one could ask: "So what's the big deal about trying to promote something, especially the Bible? Wouldn't that have some good repercussions that aren't necessarily drops in Zondervan's pocketbook?"

And again, I'd agree, to an extent. Good consequences do not intentions make. (My own quote that, thanks.)

Finally, in light of this new release, this new translation is already under fire! However, for this, I will make no comment and will simply let you decide for yourself. (Before I do this, though, you might want to read this to understand what the organization stands for.)

Now, as I go, remember Proverbs 4:23 - "Above all else, guard your heart [and mind], for it is the wellspring of life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home