1.29.2005

Here's how it's gonna go...

My name is Brody, and I have a mission.

First, though, before I make any attempts at proselytizing, let me say this - I believe I am one of the most opinionated people I know. If I have an opinion on something (and it's not so much an 'if' question as 'when'), anyone and everyone will know about it, and I will be 100% sure that I have good logic behind that opinion, or I will drop it like a bad habit.

That said, this site is my attempt not only to give a public forum to my opinions (if it were solely that, one could say that I am quite vain and egotistical) but also to shine light onto several different subjects that I believe are of the utmost importance, especially to Christians but also to the state of the world as a whole. As such, I believe there are only three categories that the problems of the world can fall into: those caused by interactions of non-Christians to non-Christians, non-Christians to Christians, and Christians within their own subculture. Even so, the only two areas on which to plan an intellectual assault (at least, from my vantage point) have to be external and internal; that is, explain to the rest of the world how we work and why we believe what we believe (and that our beliefs are perfectly rational, in most cases), and to discuss irrational characteristics of the Christian subculture that are causing problems with our brethren of different faiths or predilections.

Keeping that purpose in mind, I open this site to absolutely anyone who wants to post. If anyone wants to become a continuing contributor (in that you will have access to posting freely instead of just commenting to posts), you may contact me to seek out this possibility, or I may enlist your efforts (with your full permission, of course). However, keep in mind that I will be the sole editor; after all, even with a disclaimer of "These ideas do not necessarily represent those of The Christian Cynic", this site is still a direct reflection on me. However, that does not mean that I will limit contributions to Christians; I want a rounded viewpoint, especially of those who look at Christianity and think to themselves, "What a bunch of morons." If those thoughts are ungrounded, then I intend on putting forth the effort to correct as best I can, but if those preconceptions are nothing more than observations of poor character traits, then the right of criticism is fully warranted and I will allow it in its full extent, perhaps even adding to it. (I will warn everyone right now that I do find quite a few problems within Christianity, but they are not so much ideological as they are behavioral issues.)

So, for anyone who would like to post comments or topics, keep these ideas in mind:

1) The law of humility reigns. If you are in any way condescending, make derogatory or inflammatory comments, or just generally act like a pompous jerk, then I reserve the right to edit your posts/comments and eventually to limit posting and commenting to E-mail submissions only.
2) Besides being decent human beings in your language, I also request that all users refrain from using profanity, sexually or racially suggestive slang, and soliciting for other venues (except in cases where I grant it freely).
3) Use the sense you were born with. If I see people behaving like children, I also reserve the right to ask them to act like adults (and this applies to anyone posting, even those who are not yet of the age considered for adulthood).
4) This one is minor: I request that everyone who posts do their very, very best to use correct spellings and grammatical usage. I am incredibly anal retentive about English, and as a result, I think less of the ideas of people who can't express them well in writing. I will do my best to overcome that and consider everyone's ideas equally; in turn, I ask that everyone else try and meet me halfway on this one.

If anyone wants to contact me, you can reach me at thechristiancynic@gmail.com.

I look forward to hearing from everyone.

~Brody, Editor-in-chief

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Brodes ... it's Carol (I always end up anonymous on your sites).

I'm just wondering how people are going to post stuff. Are you going to make a message board type thing?

January 29, 2005 at 12:12 PM  
Blogger Mr. B said...

Well, first, this is only a beta. I hope to have some akin to that eventually, yes.

For now, if you have a topic you want to post on, E-mail it to me, and I'll post it under your name for now.

January 29, 2005 at 4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home